Scotiabank Gold American Express® Card
Get up to 45,000 bonus Scene+ points and save 2.5% on foreign transaction fees
Updated: Dec 30, 2022
Scotiabank Gold American Express card is one of Canada's most commonly mentioned travel credit cards. Its excellent combination of 0% foreign transaction fees, a great sign-up bonus, and a reliable earn rate impress everyone looking for this kind of card. Simply put, this is an excellent option if you like to travel around and spend using a credit card, but American Express cards can't be used anywhere, which you need to consider. Here's everything you need to know about the Scotiabank Gold American Express.
This card is not available through MarketProSecure Canada.Compare Similar
Intro APR Period
- Earn up to $850* in value in the first 12 months, including up to 45,000 bonus Scene+ points and first year annual fee waived.1. Offer ends 30 April 2023.
- You will not pay 2.5% foreign transaction fees on any foreign currency purchases, including online shopping and when travelling abroad. Only the exchange rate applies
- Earn 6X Scene+ points for each $1 CAD charged to your account on all eligible purchases at Sobeys, IGA, Safeway, Foodland, FreshCo, Voila by Sobeys, Voila by IGA, Voila by Safeway, Chalo! FreshCo, Thrifty Foods, IGA West, Les Marches Tradition, Rachelle Bery, and Co-Op.
- Earn 5X Scene+ points for every $1 CAD spent on eligible grocery stores, restaurants, fast food, and drinking establishments. Includes popular food delivery and food subscriptions
- Earn 3X Scene+ points for every $1 CAD spent on eligible gas and daily transit. Includes rideshare, buses, taxis, subway, and more
- Earn 1X Scene+ point for every $1 spent on every other purchase
One of the first things we look for with any credit card offer is its affordability. Lower fees, better interest rates, and rewards that matter tell us what we need to know about whether it’s a strong financial tool. Next, we want to know who’s behind the offer. When Scotiabank and American Express come together, consumers instantly feel at ease knowing they have the backing of two of the biggest financial brands in the world. Finally, we want to know what those rewards mean to us in our everyday life. If you’re a traveler who appreciates big savings, whether you’re on a road trip, on a flight to another country, or sailing the seas on a luxurious cruise, the Scotiabank Gold American Express card is the one you’re looking for. The Scene+ Rewards points allow you as a card member to build your travel rewards fast so that you can make use of them sooner.
Scotiabank Gold American Express Card is the Best for
- If you like to travel and use a credit card to pay for your expenses;
- When you want to earn high rewards on your credit cards;
- If you need comprehensive shopping and travel insurance;
- And, when you don’t want to worry about foreign transaction fees.
What Are the AMEX Gold Card Advantages?
Outstanding rewards program
The Scotiabank Gold American Express has one of the best reward programs. All cardholders earn one Scene+ Reward1 point for spending a dollar. At the same time, they also get accelerated earn rates for different rewards when spending on specific categories:
- You will earn 5 points for a dollar spent on food subscriptions, bars, food delivery, restaurants, and grocery shopping.
- You will get 5 points per dollar spent on entertainment, including tickets, theatre, movies, amusement parks, etc.
- There will be 3 points for every dollar you spent on taxis, public transportation, gas, etc.
- And, you will receive 3 points for every dollar you spent on streaming services like Netflix.
You get a generous welcome bonus with a Scotiabank American Express Gold card. First of all, cardholders can earn 25,000 reward points during the first three months if they spend at least $1,000 on everyday purchases. On top of that, cardholders can get an additional 20,000 reward points if they spend a total of $7,500 using the card during the first 12 months. Simply put, you can get up to 45,000 points, meaning you will have an additional $450 for your travels.
Income requirements are low
This card gives you a lot of purchase power and the ability to turn all that spending into some lucrative rewards. However, most cards with these kinds of perks set some high requirements for cardholders, but this is not the case with Scotiabank Gold American Express. To qualify for this card, your personal income must be at least $12,000. It is a much better offer than similar cards with an average minimum income requirement of $60,000. In other words, this card is available to a lot of people.
No foreign transaction fee
Most similar travel credit cards in Canada have 2.5% to 3.5% foreign transaction fees when making purchases outside the Canadian dollar. The Scotiabank Gold American Express has a flat 0% foreign transaction fee, meaning you don’t have to worry about shopping outside Canada.
Reliable shopping and travel insurance
This card comes with free shopping and travel insurance. Every cardholder is covered for various events, and you get up to $1,000 overage on lost or delayed baggage. All flight delays are covered up to $500 – if you get mugged during your stay, you get a $1,000 coverage. There’s also hefty purchase protection with a maximum lifetime liability of up to $60,000. If you get in an accident with a rental car, you are covered for up to $65,000. This card also covers travel accidents, trip cancellations, and medical emergencies.
Since this is an American Express card combined with the services of Scotiabank Gold, all cardholders get many special deals and exclusive programs. All owners have the right to register for these perks:
- Assistance with buying tickets and restaurant reservations;
- Subscribe to invitations for in-store sales, weekend getaways, movie screenings, and other special deals;
- Get subscribed to presale tickets for special events, theatre productions, and concerts with VIP reservations;
- Get coupons and promotions from some of your favorite travel companies, restaurants, and retailers.
Are There Any Disadvantages?
Even though Scotia Gold American Express is a great card with a lot to offer, it does have its downsides.
First, your American Express cards aren’t accepted at all retailers like Mastercard or Visa. Even though this is not a big concern since you can always find an alternative, you will have to check which stores accept these cards. If you want to use this card only, you will have to look for alternatives and adjust your spending habits if your favorite stores don’t let you shop with American Express. However, if you combine this card with a Mastercard or Visa, you won’t have to worry about anything.
Annual earnings cap
Another downside of Scotiabank Gold American Express is accelerated rate annual earning caps. You have a 3% limit on transportation and gas purchases and a 5% limit on food purchases. You can spend up to $50,000 on these categories combined to get accelerated earning rates, and after that, the rate is back to making one point per dollar.
What Makes Gold American Express Card Different
Affordable premium card. The Scotiabank Gold American Express is a unique, high-end premium card with exclusive perks that can be used by anyone with a minimum income of $12,000. All other similar cards with similar benefits have a five times higher minimum income requirement.
Build for international travelers. It’s a specialized travel card with various benefits and convenient features you can utilize throughout your travels. It’s a combined travel-rewards card best for people who often commute internationally.
If you’re looking for an excellent travel reward credit card, your search ends here, especially if you’re from Canada and often travel to the US. Scotiabank Gold American Express has an excellent earn rate and accelerated rewards you can cash in to reduce expenses. When you add to that fantastic welcome bonus that you can expand throughout the year, the deal simply makes sense. On top of that, since this is a verified travel card having no foreign transaction fees is just brilliant.
Frequently Asked Questions
- From Shopping and Travel to Movies and Dining. Scene Plus
|Best Used For:||
|Regular APR Type:||Variable|
|APR on Cash Advances:||22.99%|
|Grace Period:||See Terms|