Limited Time Offer: Earn 5,000 bonus Scotia Rewards points with your first $500 in everyday purchases in the first 3 months.
The Scotiabank American Express card is one of the best travel cards in Canada. It comes in three different versions – Standard, Gold, and Platinum. The difference between the three is in the amount of Scotia Reward points they provide. The application process for the cards is straightforward. The only requirement is that you’re a Canadian citizen and that you have a credit score higher than 650. It takes only a few minutes to fill out the online form, and if you meet the requirements, a card will be sent to your home address in a few days. The card offers a few useful perks and benefits, mostly for travel. However, it doesn’t come with any hidden fees or an annual fee, making it an excellent choice.
Who Is This Card for?
The requirements for the card do require you to have a good credit score, so it’s not one of those credit cards anyone can get. If you meet the requirements, and if you’re a person that likes to travel, or want a card for everyday purchases, it might be a very good choice. It doesn’t have an annual fee, and every dollar you spend will grant you Scotia Points you can spend on various discounts and fantastic travel insurance that covers almost everything you can think of.
Moreover, the Scotia Rewards Travel Service will help you find some excellent deals all over the globe. That makes this card an excellent choice for people who want to surprise their family with a luxurious trip abroad. It also provides discounts on car rental services, so it might be a good choice for people who often need to rent a car.
What Are the Rewards?
- 5,000 bonus when you spend $500 within 3 months
- 1 point for every $1 you spend on everyday purchases
You can book and redeem points for travel anywhere, anytime, with no restrictions.
Scotiabank American Express Benefits
- The Scotiabank Amex card provides a few benefits that can come in handy. First of all, it provides you with everything you need to organize a vacation for you and your family members. The card issuer provides a full-service travel agency for all cardholders, enabling you to plan a stress-free vacation with all of the travel insurance you can ever need.
- You will also get access to the benefits of American Express Invites. They include access to special offers, perks, entertainment experiences, and discounts on various products and services. Furthermore, the card can help you land discounts of up to 25% on car rental deals, other special offers, amenities, and discounts on cruises worldwide. All of these benefits are why this card is known as the best travel card in Canada.
Are There Any Disadvantages?
- While the Scotiabank Amex does have a fixed 1% return, it doesn’t have any bonus categories, so you won’t be able to save a lot of money in the long run. You do get Scotia Reward points you can spend on various perks, but if you fail to do so on time, those points will go to waste.
- You might find yourself in a tight spot in some countries because Amex is not accepted everywhere. That’s why you should check if the country you want to travel to accepts the card before you go there. When compared with other travel cards, this one offers lower returns, so that might be something to think about as well.
- The card also has 2.5% foreign currency conversion fee.
Should You Use This Card?
If you’re a person who wants a fee-free card for your everyday purchases and likes to travel a lot, this card will save you a lot of money on insurance. You will also get purchase protection. Since there are no annual fees, there’s nothing you should worry about if your card is empty. Other benefits include better deals on travel arrangements, car rentals, and access to American Express Invites.
However, when you consider other similar cards, some provide better interest rates and higher rewards, but most have higher requirements upon application. All in all, the Scotiabank Amex is a good option for people with good credit scores that want to get a free American Express card with travel rewards and an initial bonus.
- Welcome bonus
- No annual fee
- Earn points for exclusive rewards
- Fantastic travel insurance
- Warranty insurance
- Discounts on car rentals
- Exceptional customer support
- Not accepted in all countries
- Penalty APR
- Low return rates
Scotiabank American Express FAQs